- Trigger point injections. These are really only effective when used in a comprehensive structural assessment and treatment. David enhances their effectiveness by using selective minerals, trace minerals, vitamins and other natural compounds.
- Japanese and Taiwanese acupuncture. Very refined systems of evaluation and treatment, based on Chinese classics, but adapted to modern people.
- Classical Chinese evaluation. Old systems of evaluation by visual and palpation skills.
- There are many other complimentary or alternative models to choose from. I focus a lot on the Functional models, and excito-toxic models. I supplement these views with an extensive background in herbal, acupuncture, nutritional medicine.
Functional endocrinology, for example, looks not only at how hormones are being managed by their respective tissues, and their output of hormone levels, but also at how other organ functions may be impacting those processes. The liver, in terms of endocrinology, also relates to detoxification, breakdown, elimination of and management of hormones and hormone metabolites levels. This impacts the feedback loops in the brain, mostly the pituitary, hippocampus, thalamus, hypothalamus, which regulate all the other endocrine organs, as well as impact other physiology as well. The liver also manufactures albumin and other globulins important for transporting hormones. All these factors will influence hormone function. Other important components of functional endocrinology are cholesterol management, gastro intestinal function, glucose metabolism, essential fatty acid metabolism, adrenal, ovary, testes, pituitary, hypothalamus, thalamus, hippocampus, thyroid, pancreas. Auto immune disease has now outpaced all other pathologies in the United States and auto immunity to some of the above tissues are very common now.
Functional medicine assesses the above picture of physiology as an integrative unit. Supporting glucose metabolism can have a huge impact on liver function, as well as pituitary, hippocampus, thyroid, sex gland function and pretty much every metabolic process. This interrelated picture does an excellent job of treating the underlying causes and concomitant causes of many disease processes. This is, of course, a brief over view. For more complete reviews, please see my articles on the research page of my website; Nmhealingresources.com
The excito-toxic model assesses how the body is responding to the exposure to toxins we come into contact with on a daily basis. It is of course a good idea to minimize your exposure, but sometimes, (most all the time?) it may be impossible to completely eliminate the exposure to certain compounds. In this case, we need to be able to assess which organs or physiological processes are being impacted and how. The excito-toxic model especially looks at how brain function and the whole neurological system is being impacted my toxins. Some of these toxins are the result of internal physiology gone awry. The brain is especially sensitive to immune mediated inflammation, cortisol and insulin mediated inflammation, gastro intestinal dysfunction and inflammation, and fatty acid metabolism. Correctly identifying and treating these systems can have a huge impact on the nervous system, our entire physiology and of course, our well being.
- Nutritional Counselling.
- This includes both macro and micro nutrition. Macro refers to large compounds of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Micro refers to smaller sized compounds such as vitamins and minerals.
- Comprehensive structural treatment through acupuncture. Western evaluation of physiology and structure.
- Stretching and Exercise. Targeted movement training for all aspects of physiology and structure.
- Urine analysis. A useful addition to blood analysis.
- Ph testing. Specialized saliva ph reactions to substances.
- Mindfulness Relaxation. Sometimes referred to as the Relaxation Response. A deep resetting of the brain and nervous system that impacts every area of our experience and reactions to that experience.